Friday, July 25, 2008

Happy Endings Ain't F' Wimps



Fans! is back. How did I miss this?

This is one of the oldest webcomics, and a few years ago went dark, putting its archives behind a paywall and wrapping up all its remaining loose ends. It seems to be back with a vengeance, and that particular theological argument (paywall or mechandising) seems to be settled.

Well, almost all its loose ends, except the question of how things would work out in its central relationship. And here's where I have a dilemma, as discussing that without giving away a major spoiler that only appears in the 1600th installment of an 1750 episode webcomic is a hard trick to pull off. But it's fair to say that this is one of the only mainstream portrayals of a non-vanilla relationship I know of, and one that treats kinkiness as a character trait, not a plot device or something to be overcome. This is s strip about Science Fiction Fans saving the world, after all, and next to all the other tpes of geekdon, an unconventional relationship seems to fit very naturally.

It's odd to me how much there seems to be a link between geekyness and kinkiness. Teak mentioned this a month ago, and Jaye's new friend mentioned it last week. And here again.

I need to dig into this more in writing, I think. Well, after I feed C's cats, do the recycling, and pack for tomorrow. God, I hate being a night owl at times. If I last at my job long enough to leave on my terms it will be a major miracle.

Useless, but not for long/ The future, is comin' on

No comments: